Monday, January 21, 2008

The Real Burkina

Eleven days ago I didn't know what I was thinking, but I have arrived and well... I have a lot to catch all of you up on. Well after celebrating my 22nd birhtday on the 11th, the 12th-16th were filled with last minute shopping and helping my bro out on one last moving job. I spent the next two days traveling and what was supposed to be a 39 hour trip turned into a 45 hour trip. And believe me those last six hours were excruciatingly painful. My trip started with delqys and thus ended with delays. But my most eventful was my nine hours in Morocco, were I was able to sleep for five of these hours and discover the unimaginable, crazy driving skills (or suicide attempts) of Moroccans. By the time I finally arrived to my final destination, it was 6 in the morning and Burkina's capital was wide awake.

After unpacking a few things, I took a much needed shower and finally went to sleep by 8:30, but only to wake again at 10:30. Although completly exhausted, I did not want to spend my first day in Ouagadougou sleeping. I ate a small breakfast of baguettes and tea with Viviane and Emilie, Viviane is the local director of FAVL here and Emilie an american grad student. After Viviane took me on a tour of the city while she worked on getting me a cell phone. I was surprised to find that more people get around on mopeds or bikes than they do in cars. There is even a seperate lane for them. I found the city to be both "what" and "what I not" expected, as it was as dirty and dusty as I had imagined, but more devoloped than I had originally thought it would be. It was an intriguing, but tiring first tour. Returning to the house, I slept for four more hours and woke to have a light dinner with Emilie of cookies, baguette and bread. Then it was straight back to bed.

I spent my first Sunday here exploring Ouaga with Emilie. The first thing I noticed was that no one works on Sunday except for the few who will follow for blocks on end. One boy followed me what seemed like forever, right up until Emilie and I got into the taxi. Very persistent and funny.

I have had some trouble sleeping the first two nights for which I can give much credittothe cock-a-doodle-dooing rooster in our yard. He seems to be off with when the sun rises here, but I have hope he'll get it right, or I'm going to have to find something better than hope to deal with it. We also have two goats named Millé and Miné that slowly warming to having guests around.

Today I spent going around with Viviane to some of the local children bookstores toget an idea of what material I might be using. I found the books to very expensive for a third world country and the selection sparse. She also helped me buy another thermometer since taking my temperature will be a big part of staying healthy here. It was also decided that I stay another week here in the village, resting up and getting reaquainted with my french and the Burkinabe dialect. While I am tired I am not yet feeling homesick. And while the pace of life here looks very fast at first glance, it really is quite tranquil. They work hard and try to sell fast, but they also take two hour lunches everyday, along with a nap. Hopefully I don't become to accostomed to this lifestyle, but for now it will do.

1 comment:

jakefilm said...

What a great entry! I really get a sense of your experience thus far. I partically liked the wording
"I'll have to find something better than hope" regarding
dealing with the rooster. Fresh chicken soup is always
good for the soul as you know. Things are going well over here as well. You've inspired me to get back on track. So far all's good. Can't wait for the next post! Don't get frustrated with uploading pictures. Keep trying and use the blogger help page until you get it right. A couple pictures mixed in with this post would have been awesome! Till next time! ourve!